Sunday, January 23, 2011

An ode to...

This is a poem that I wrote when I went to Khardah, where my Grandfather's house is, and visited some  places that  Grandpa and I used to visit, when I was still little. I agree that this poem might not be technically very good, but it is filled with nostalgia of the highest order.
:) 
Btw, it's the place mentioned is Khardah Ganga-ghat (Adjacent to Kathiababa's ashram)



This is where I belong,
The child inside of me.
This is where we've cast,
So many golden memories.

I remember life, when we were here.
So very simple. Easy, wonderful, and pristine.
We'd hitch a ride together, to the grazing fields,
Where you'd play your harmonica amidst the green,
Sitting under the cool shade of some unnamed tree,
I'd listen and be merry; more than I had ever been.

The meadow grass was always warm and wet.
On which we'd play, sing, fight and even cry.
I never really thought that each kick of the ball,
Would someday bring back tears in my eyes.
I never realised when those days went past us,
Never gauged how fast time flew us by.
. . .

This is where resides,
My innocent, childish soul.
Left in the name of maturity,
And the excuse of growing old.

The old temple grounds, was often the spot,
For secret picnics, skipping school. And though,
I'd always get caught, and even you were scolded;
We both would laugh about it, after a week or so.
We stuck together through thick and thin. And now,
They're my memoirs of 'us'; and I won't ever let go.

We'd sleep on the mounds, we'd swim in the river,
Life was fresh, like the scent of the monsoon air.
Whether staring at stars, or racing our cycles,
Whenever I needed, you had time to spare.
You taught me to listen, and taught me to learn.
I could live freely, because you were there.
. . . 

The world thinks your gone, but you're immortal for me.
Because you now reside, in my heart and memory.
Your words and your thoughts, still guide me along.
Everything that you taught has made me as strong.
I remember your smile; and it still makes me secure,
As I stand where you taught me, everything that I know.

And this is where we parted ways,
With a promise, to meet again.
This is where I learned to face,
Every little ounce of pain.

This is where I've grown up.
And as I always, do believe.
Here I was born, unto myself,
When you taught me how to live.

Hope you all liked it 

1 comment:

Liked it? Hated it? Just let me know. If you don't have an account, use Name/URL option :)